Saxenda is a prescription medication that is used to aid in weight loss efforts. It contains liraglutide, a synthetic form of a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) that is naturally produced in the body. In this article, we will delve into what Saxenda is, how it works, its benefits, potential side effects, and considerations for use.
Saxenda is an injectable medication that is approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) for chronic weight management in adults who have obesity or who are overweight with at least one weight-related health condition. It is prescribed at Alevia as part of a comprehensive weight loss program that includes a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity, so that you get the most out of the medication.
How Does Saxenda Work?
Saxenda works by acting on receptors in the brain that control appetite and food intake. It is 97% the same as human GLP-1, a gut hormone that is released after eating and helps regulate blood sugar levels and feelings of fullness. By activating these receptors, Saxenda helps to reduce appetite, increase satiety (feeling of fullness), and decrease overall food consumption.
Benefits of Saxenda
1. Weight Loss: Clinical trials have shown that Saxenda can lead to significant weight loss when used as part of a comprehensive weight management plan. Studies have demonstrated an average weight loss of around 5% to 10% of initial body weight within the first six months of treatment.
2. Improved Health Markers: In addition to weight loss, Saxenda has been shown to improve several health markers, such as reducing blood pressure, improving blood sugar control, and decreasing levels of LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol).
3. Long-Term Weight Maintenance: Saxenda may help individuals maintain their weight loss over the long term, as it helps to control hunger hormones, that naturally increase after weight loss.
Considerations and Potential Side Effects
While Saxenda can be an effective tool for weight loss, it is essential to consider certain factors and be aware of potential side effects:
1. Prescription Requirement: Saxenda is a prescription medication and should only be used under the supervision of your Alevia doctor. It is not available over the counter.
2. Injection Administration: Saxenda is administered once daily via subcutaneous injection (under the skin), typically in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. Some individuals may have reservations about self-injections and should discuss their concerns with their doctor.
3. Common Side Effects: Common side effects of Saxenda may include nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, reflux and constipation. These side effects are generally mild and tend to improve over time.
4. Rare but Serious Side Effects: In rare cases, Saxenda may cause serious side effects, such as pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and gallstones. It is essential to be aware of these potential risks and discuss any concerns with your healthcare provider.
Considerations for Use
Saxenda may not be suitable for everyone. It is important to consult with your Alevia doctor to determine if Saxenda is appropriate for your specific situation. Some considerations include:
– Health Conditions: Inform your Alevia doctor about any existing health conditions, including a history of pancreatitis, gallstones, or any other medical conditions.
– Medication Interactions: Discuss any medications or supplements you are currently taking, as some drugs may interact with Saxenda and require adjustments in dosages or timing.
– Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Saxenda is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding. If you are planning to become pregnant or are already pregnant, consult your healthcare provider for guidance on weight management options.
Saxenda is a prescription medication that can be a valuable tool in weight management efforts for individuals struggling with obesity or overweight conditions. By mimicking the effects of GLP-1, Saxenda helps reduce appetite and increase feelings of fullness, leading to weight loss and improved health markers. However, it is essential to carefully consider potential side effects and discuss its use with a healthcare provider to ensure it is appropriate for your specific circumstances.
Remember, Saxenda is not a standalone solution for weight loss but works best when combined with a reduced-calorie diet, increased physical activity, and comprehensive lifestyle changes. At Alevia Medical Weight Loss we have a range of weight loss medications that are able to be considered as options if necessary, paired with our Dieticians and Doctors we will provide the best assistance to help you reach your weight loss goals.