At Alevia, our first consultation is dedicated to finding out all about YOU! This allows us to tailor your weight loss program to your needs. We offer:
- A comprehensive medical assessment to determine the cause of your weight gain
- An assessment of how weight gain is affecting your physical and mental health
- Screening for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid disease, sleep apnoea, hormonal disturbances, mental health conditions
- Order appropriate tests eg. blood tests, sleep study, mood assessment
- Assess biometrics: Height, Weight, Waist circumference, BMI
- Set weight loss and other health related goals
- Develop a personalised treatment plan for you with your particular health and lifestyle needs
- Provide medical supervision and monitoring of other health conditions during weight loss
- Assist you with long term weight maintenance
Body Composition Analysis
When you need to know more than just your body weight…
Body Weight as a single measure can be deceiving as it can be affected by other factors such as fluid retention, constipation or even hormonal fluctuations.
Body composition is a more accurate look at your physical makeup and can help your health professional to determine things like:
- Are you maintaining your muscle mass whilst losing weight?
- What is your Basal Metabolic Rate? ie. the energy you burn each day just by being alive.
- What is your body fat % and where are you carrying your weight.
All of this information can be used to guide your weight loss program. At Alevia we offer in house Body Composition Analysis to assist us in determining what weight loss plan is right for you, as well as ensuring you preserve muscle mass throughout your weight loss journey.
Our goal is your health – start your transformation today.
Ketogenic Diet Plans
With our evidenced program, you’ll earn how to control cravings, beat hunger and regain control of your life.
We are Optifast accreddited health professionals.
With our ketogenic diet plans, patients achieve rapid weight loss without hunger! This can be achieved through the use of meal replacements, or with regular food.
When the body is in fat burning mode, appetite is suppressed, making weight loss so much easier. Patients report feeling more in control of their eating and are encouraged by the quick results they see.
If a low carb diet is not for you, then we have a range of other dietary plans to achieve your weight loss goals:
- Intermittent Fasting(eg. 5:2) and Time Restricted Eating (eg. 16:8)
- Mediterranean diet
- DASH diet
Are you Vegetarian or Vegan? Fructose or Lactose intolerant? Have Coeliac disease or gluten sensitivity? Don’t worry… we have you covered.
Our goal is to help you achieve rapid and safe weight loss — typically with weight loss of 1-1.5kg per week for women and 1.5-2.5kg per week for men.*
* Results may vary for individuals
Changing habits, changing lives
In addition to our prescribed dietary and exercise program, the Alevia Weight Loss Solution, incorporates our 10 part educational program “Tools For Success” designed to help you make those long lasting lifestyle changes and overcome barriers to weight loss..
- Optimum nutrition and physical activity for weight control
- Healthy fats
- Curbing carbs
- Protein power
- Getting active
- Emotional eating
- Stress and comfort eating
- Breaking bad habits
- Dealing with hunger and cravings
- Relapse prevention and Weight maintenance
The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step!
Weight Loss Medications
What happens when lifestyle change alone is not enough and weight is causing significant health problems?
Weight loss medications may be used in patients who have a significant weight amount of weight to lose and lifestyle efforts have been largely unsuccessful.
This can occur when:
- BMI > 30kg/m2 or above or
- BMI > 27kg/m2 and an obesity health related condition such as high blood pressure, sleep apnoea or diabetes.
Medications can also assist with prevention of weight regain, when patients have lost their weight, and there has been an increase in the appetite hormones that promote weight regain.
They may also be helpful in patients who have had weight loss surgery and there has been some weight regain.
Always discuss your suitability for weight loss medications, including benefits and side effects with one our Weight Loss Doctors or a Pharmacist.
Weight Loss Medications
This is a medication that works in two ways – it slows the passage of food through the gut making a person feel more full and satisfied, and it works directly on the appetite centre to reduce hunger and cravings.
A drug which, when taken in combination with a healthy diet, can reduce absorption of fat and assist with weight loss.
This is a combination of two anti craving medications. These medications, works on the reward and appetite centre in the brain to hunger and cravings, thereby reducing weight.
This is a mild stimulant medication that has a powerful appetite suppressant effect and helps patients to overcome some of the natural hunger that makes weight loss difficult.
A medication that is used for migraine and epilepsy prevention. It is widely used “off label” in the Obesity clinics in Australia and overseas for the management of obesity as it has also been found to have some appetite suppressing effects.
Some diabetes medications help patients to feel full and satisfied after a meal. These include metformin and a class of drugs called GLP-1 agonists – such as Byetta, Bydureon, Trulicity.
We provide independent, unbiased information on surgical options to assist with weight loss
At Alevia, we will help to answer some of these common questions:
- What are my surgical weight loss options?
- Is surgery right for me?
- What can I do if I am not yet ready to undertake surgery?
- What if I have regained weight after bariatric surgery?
We also provide pre and post bariatric care:
- Optimising health prior to surgery
- Rapid weight loss prior to surgery to make it a safer procedure
- Monitoring of health and nutritional deficiencies that may occur post surgery
- Optimising diet post surgery to ensure maximum surgical success
- Medications to assist with appetite control after surgery if still needed
Bariatric surgery may be considered if you have had a long term battle with obesity and if you have weight related conditions that may be improved with dramatic weight loss.
In some conditions, such as diabetes, there is very compelling evidence of the benefits from weight loss on diabetes, that bariatric surgery is now recommended as one of the first line treatment options for this condition. (Rubino et al. 2011)
Bariatric surgery is indicated if:
- BMI is >40 or
- BMI >35 with an obesity related health condition such as diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnoea.
We have a number of psychologists to assist with binge eating disorder, body image issues, anxiety and depression or other life stressors that impact on eating
We understand how emotions, stress and mental health issues can play a huge role in weight gain, which is why our doctors are dedicated to providing each patient with the psychological care they deserve.
Common emotional issues our patients struggle with include:
- Mental health conditions such as anxiety/depression that can affect relationships with food and healthy habits
- Cravings and binge eating
- Self-sabotaging treatment plans
- Body image problems
- Alcohol and other drug use
Our Alevia doctors are committed to holistic care for your health and wellbeing. We have a team of psychologists that can provide you with the support and tools to overcome any emotional hurdles in your weight loss journey.
We tailor an exercise plan just for you.
The good news is — you don’t have to live at the gym in order to be healthy and active!
Our approach to exercise is simple. Our doctors will tailor an exercise plan for you, according to your ability, physical limitations and activity preferences.
The health benefits of exercise are well known in almost every area of your health and wellbeing, so we encourage our patients to get moving and stay active to complement a healthy diet, but only in a way that will suit you, your lifestyle and needs.
We are neighbours with an onsite movement studio called Swift Fitness that we often suggest patients go check out — they offer a variety of fitness classes to suit different levels of ability and also personal trainers for individual care.
Facebook Community Group
Exchange tips, inspiration, recipes and other tools to help you get and keep the weight off.
You’d like to lose weight
but can’t get in to our clinic?
We now offer Skype consultations to improve access and delivery of care to those who are carrying excess weight. We know that sometimes getting into a clinic can be difficult due to physical or geographic constraints.
A number of our GPs now offer Skype consultations to those patients who are suitable. Unfortunately, these consultations do not attract a Medicare rebate. To find out more about this service, and to see if you are eligible get in contact with our team today.
The Alevia Weight Loss app
We have developed a custom designed app that enables you to track your weight, access recipes, and more